Glidis, o Flauto Dolce!
I just started learning Volapük. It took me over half an hour to write that sentence!
I am hoping to learn something of the 1931 version of the language bit by bit using the pages linked here. Do you know whether the language has changed much since de Jong's time (other than new words for new inventions etc.)?
- Last Saturday I looked at de Jong's Grammar at the New York Public Library (I live in Brooklyn). They let me photocopy the entire book (about 100 pages = 50 copies). It's written entirely in Volapük, so it will take a while to figure out.
- Their copy of dJ's German-Vpk dictionary is big and scary and in fragile condition. I'm wondering if someone somewhere has reprinted it. I have asked to join the Volapükalised (mailing list) but haven't had a response yet -- maybe someone there will know if the book is available as a reprint or in a photocopied version.
- I have written an article on kiemav (chemistry) and a lised löminas kiemavik (list of the chemical elements) using the Web vocabularies, and element names from the Grammar. I've been reading the NT at the Caviness link above for clues to grammar.
- More soon
- --Jmb 03:55, 10 Feb 2004 (UTC)
I'm thinking maybe we should change all the language names on the Main Page to the post-1931 versions only. There are so many differences it could get kind of messy to show all the later/earlier pairs. Here are the pairs we already have plus some others I have found in the Grammar (later version first):
latin/Latinapük (irregular and not capitalized apparently because it is not named for a country)
What do you think?
Well done on the at > kel change, that looks right. I believe you were right on the möleküls as well, the nominative is better there.
More in a day or two
- Wow! Looks great! I think Afrikaans could just be Afrikaans for now unless or until we come across a translation somewhere.
- Is your library's Wörterbuch in decent condition? As I mentioned above, the one I have access to is pretty fragile. I'm going back to the NYPL tomorrow to (I hope) look at the Leerboek der wereldtaal (1932) which I guess is a textbook of the language in Dutch. It might be more helpful to me at this stage than the Gramat which is heavy on useful grammar but light on vocabulary (other than the list of elements and other chemical terms I pulled from).
- Re sysop status, I think that makes sense if we're not stepping on anyone's toes. I still have a lot to learn before I feel comfortable translating or writing a lot of text, though. As for other Wikipedia experience, I have done some work at the Interlingua site (another fun language!) also as Jmb.
- More to come
Your test page looks good! I would recommend the -ös ending instead of the -öd for the imperatives, to make more of a suggestion or invitation to the reader as opposed to a command.
You mentioned prefixes and suffixes — I crudely fashioned these pages from the lists in the Gramat. The suffixes for verbal nouns don't seem to have any special sense to them. I apologize for the vagueness of some of the other suffix descriptions, more study is needed for me to nail those down.
--Jmb 04:00, 17 Feb 2004 (UTC)
P.S. The lists do not include affixes that exist as independent words (these keep their meaning, e.g. lü- as prefix means to, toward).
- Thanks for the offer, yes, please make me an administrator here if you can. I agree that the dictionary articles should go and can help delete them if you want. The Volapük wiktionary index is the proper place for them, I think. Anyone who wants to develop a dictionary can do it from there. I would hold off on cutting the stories, though — I don't know if they exist elsewhere on the web (though I suspect they're not truly public domain).
- I have been doing stuff at eo: lately (also as Jmb) but will work over here, too. I have a feeling this will go in the direction of the Latin wikipedia, i.e. a lot of very short articles. Given the challenges of the language I think that'll be fine.
- --Jmb 04:39, 26 Feb 2004 (UTC)
Glidis! Thanks for coming to the rescue of the vo.wiki I started it and promoted it on the Volapük List. But I had to give my attention to the other wikis, specially the Interlingua one which took off and has had a lot of traffic. I'm happy that you're serious about developing the vo.wiki. I'm sorry I wasn't able to devote more time to it. I did put up a lot of information on Volapük in the yahoogroups files section, word lists, dictionaries, grammars etc. You're welcome to these materials. The German dictionary and the Grammar are all scanned in now, also I put up all the Sirkuylapenayds online at http://www.geocities.com/sirkuylapenayd/
Since we moved on to the new software and the domain extension change I lost the admin access. So it's pretty messy in the vo.wiki and there's a need for a lot of housekeeping. If you can restore my admin access I'd appreciate it.
I've also put up some photos at the yahoogroups site which we could use in the vo.wiki, pictures of Schleyer, etc., it would be good to be able to document the history of the language and its conferences. What do you think? -- ILVI 27 February 2004
Wikipedia-wide information network[redakön fonäti]
I am Anthere. I only speak french and english. I hope someone will be able to translate this, and I apologise if I did not put it in the right place :-)
I would like that information circulate better between wikipedias, so that all wikipedians can participate more, and keep its own identity at the same time.
For this reason, I recently set a page on meta, m: Goings-on.
Hopefull, at any time, this page could indicate the current discussions, polls, votes or general announcements. 3 pages were already locally created on the spanish, the french, on the bulgarian and the english wikipedia. A global one is now on meta.
Each local page is about general on-goings as well as local ones.
Meta page aims at being about global occurences.
The page is different from the announcement page. The announcement is more oriented toward external communication (such as number of pages, special adverstisement), while the on-goings aim at mentionning community events (such as a new feature poll, elections of board of trustees).
To compare both pages :
- annoucement page on meta : http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_News (this is rather for general and external announcements)
- goings-on page : http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goings-on (this is for community announcement). This page is still under construction.
It would be great that each wikipedia in time, set a similar page, so that information could flow more easily between wikipedia. If you do so, please do set the goings-on page locally, so that every wikipedians on *your* wikipedia can see it and participate to it, and please link it to the meta page.
For bigger wikipedia, it is also interesting to set a goings-on page to relieve the local village pump, often clogged with information request.
For small wikipedias, since it is difficult to maintain such a community page with less contributors, it makes sense to merge the goings-on in the village pump, or in the community main page (perhaps by making a separate paragraph).
I am also looking for people who would agree to update the local goings-on in their language. Please, contact me at my talk page for any support, suggestion and feedback.
Thank you very much for your attention :-) 188.8.131.52
COuld you also perhaps create an ambassy page, so we know where to contact you best ? thanks :-)
Hi! Can you please translate the election notice * into Volapuk and post it prominently on the Recent Changes page of the Volapuk Wikipedia. Once you have done that, please let me know, and leave me a link where I can find it. Thanks. User:Danny on en.
I address you as the ambassador of your wikipedia. Please notice the above project.
This project, more than other projects, will benefit from inter-wiki cooperation. Can you post a message regarding this project at your wikipedia village pump?
Thanks for your help, APH from the English wiki
Hi, I am w:nl:gebruiker:Walter of the dutch Wikipedia. I am writing you because your are listed as ambassador of your wiki. I have something to say that I think you will find useful and possibly others of your wiki also.
You know it is not easy for the members of a local wiki to be informed about what is going on in the higher levels of the Wikimedia family. This because of the language problem and the high level of fragmentation of places where you can find information.
I am now making a weekly news letter (Wikizine) that attempts to provide the news of the Wikimedia projects. The concept is to list only a very short description of the news an give the relevant url to the subject. I want it to be short, only give the news that is important for all projects. The target audience include the ambassadors. It is for people who are interested in what it going on outside there own wiki. I emphasize on the news that is practical-technical. The information comes form several "news"-pages on several wikis, the mailinglists and IRC. There will be news I can not discover. If you have news found somewhere or from you own wiki please let my know. wikizine AT wikipedia.be
I can only create one version in something that supposed to be English. I count on the readers to inform there local wiki about the news in there own language.
Wikizine is send by use of the mailinglist Announce-l. It is only used for this. So people can subscribe without being swamped by emails like the lists.
I hope that you and others of your wiki will subscribe to Wikizine and give feedback. So that Wikizine can become really a source where Wikimedians can find out what is going on. Greetings, w:nl:gebruiker:Walter PS: do not repond here. I will not see it.
Trust in Wikipedia[redakön fonäti]
this is Cathy from Hong Kong working on a research about trust on Wikipedia. I wonder if you would kindly contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org? I'd like to chat with you about Wikipedia of your language. Would you kindly drop me your email or IM (Skype, MSN, AIM or ICQ)? It wouldn't take more than ten minutes, but it would help enormously for us to understand the overall trust-based social landscape of Wikipedia. Thank you!
The Volapuk Wikisource[redakön fonäti]
Hi! Honorable administrators of the Volapuk Wikipedia! Sorry for writing in English, I don't know the Volapuk language. The Volapuk test-Wikisource is pretty big, so, it needs to be a normal Wikisource, not a part of the Old Wikisource. Please, help in creation of the independent Volapuk Wikisource! The Request for opening the Volapuk Wikisource is here, also it needs to translate these messages. Thank you very much for your attention to this problem and, please, ask wikipedians of the Volapuk Wikipedia, who can help you in the creation! --Andrijko Z. 14:30, 2011 yanul 9id (UTC)
Greetings from Italy[redakön fonäti]
Mohamed ElGedawy → محمد الجداوي[redakön fonäti]
Hi, I want to change my name from: "Mohamed ElGedawy" to: "محمد الجداوي", Because i have changed my username on many wikipedias.--Mohamed ElGedawy 08:02, 2011 gustul 14id (UTC)
Bot flag for JYBot[redakön fonäti]
Hi dear Flauto Dolce,
I want to request for a bot flag in vo.wiki,but I can not find the request page.Please help me.I'm waiting for your answer.
Your admin status[redakön fonäti]
Hello. I'm a steward. A new policy regarding the removal of "advanced rights" (administrator, bureaucrat, etc.) was adopted by community consensus recently. According to this policy, the stewards are reviewing administrators' activity on wikis with no inactivity policy.
You meet the inactivity criteria (no edits and no log actions for 2 years) on vowiki, where you are a bureaucrat and administrator. Since vowiki does not have its own administrators' rights review process, the global one applies.
If you want to keep your rights, you should inform the community of the wiki about the fact that the stewards have sent you this information about your inactivity. If the community has a discussion about it and then wants you to keep your rights, please contact the stewards at m:Stewards' noticeboard, and link to the discussion of the local community, where they express their wish to continue to maintain the rights, and demonstrate a continued requirement to maintain these rights.
We stewards will evaluate the responses. If there is no response at all after approximately one month, we will proceed to remove your administrative rights. In cases of doubt, we will evaluate the responses and will refer a decision back to the local community for their comment and review. If you have any questions, please contact us on m:Stewards' noticeboard.
Your account will be renamed[redakön fonäti]
08:44, 2015 mäzul 20id (UTC)
13:01, 2015 prilul 19id (UTC)